Monday, December 7, 2009

Snow Day Trip

Saturday, it was supposed to snow in my neighborhood. Every weather man I watched said it was at least an 80 percent chance.

They all lied.

So J and I got up early. It was a quest...to find the snow. We stopped in Helen and watched the parade - freezing to death I should add. I took a ton of pictures and we caught handfuls of candy that were being thrown out of the moving vehicles. (Yes, all of that said candy is gone. I plead the fifth.) We did our best to embarrass our roommate that was walking in the parade for her hotel, whistling and shouting her name. We caused quite a scene. But it was all for laughs.




Clowns and horses and such made their way down the street. We even saw a huge Cabbage Patch Doll. Supposedly, they were born right down the road in Cleveland. But my favorites of the parade were Cat in the Hat and Grinch. And of course, Santa and Mrs. Santa.


After the parade, we drove over to Cleveland. We didn't find snow, but we did find food. Fast food, that is...not my fave. My motto...Just say no to McDonald's. Really. Everything there makes me sick. But J has a belly of her own and was having a Big Mac attack. I made her take me to Wendy's.

With our bellies satisfied, we made a decision. If we were going to find the elusive snow, we were going to have to go up. Way up. Armed with my camera at the ready, we headed for Brasstown Bald. Its the highest point in the state of Georgia (4,784 ft above sea level).



We drove back through Cleveland heading toward Helen. I got a few great pictures of Yonah Mountain.



Once we were back through Helen, we got on the scenic highway and started our ascent. It didn't take long for us to find the snow. Gradually, the world around began to fade to white.




We passed over the Appalachian Trail and pulled over. Actually, we slid over. The road was all ice. We were pretty much at the half way point. I couldn't resist, I had to get out of the truck and play with the snow and ice. My hands complained for about two hours after, but it was worth it. J wouldn't budge from the driver seat, so I tossed snowballs at the window of the truck until she was laughing uncontrollably.

I braved the ice paved road and crossed it. In a month or two, the icicle covered wall will be nothing more than a huge wall of ice. But for now, it was just riddled with smaller icicles. I had to take a picture.



When I got back in the truck, J informed me that we should probably turn back. The road was covered in ice and she was concerned for our safety. Since I had walked across that ice, I agreed without an argument. She hit the four-wheel drive and turned us around (it wasn't as easy as it sounds) and we headed back home.





But our quest to find the mysterious snow that was supposed to cover our town was a success. Even if it wasn't, it would have been a great day...just me and my girl on a scenic drive through the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment