Saturday, May 9, 2009

Redneck Aquarium


It threatened to rain off and on today but it didn't deter Jules and I from heading down to the creek while J and Rock went to the cemetery. Jules is Rock's girlfriend and has recently moved in to the house with the rest of us. Anyone else need a place to stay? We got two empty couches and a recliner left?


Our creek journey recap...


me: You wanna ride the four wheeler down there?

Jules: Nah. I need to walk. But I'll ride back up with you.


I went to get the key for the four wheeler and met her down by the creek. She has a small plastic fish tank and two small nets.


me: What's the nets and tank for?

Jules: I'm gonna catch some crawfish and make a redneck aquarium.


She laughed and stepped into the water.

Jules: There's one.

She splashed through the water and trapped a small crawfish in the net.


I was still stuck on the redneck aquarium.

me: What else are you going to put in your aquarium?

Jules: An old beer can. And hopefully a few of these crawfish. I don't want to catch the big ones because Rock will eat them.


Redneck aquarium. Hmmm...


Jules: Come on in. The water isn't too cold.

me: Alright. (I step in and scream to the top of my lungs. The water is like stepping in an ice bucket. It reminded me of Manatee Springs, Florida...but much colder.) Not that cold?!


Glutton for punishment, I kept walking into the water. I tried not to squish the snails, but I might have stepped on a few. There was just so many of the damn things. She handed me a net.


Jules: Ooh! There's one.


She leaned over and netted another small crawfish. This one was lighter than the other.


Jules: Cool. We got a male and a female.

Me: Really? How can you tell?

Jules: The red ones are females...I think. The lighter one is male.


The water didn't feel so cold anymore and I got brave. I carefully maneuvered the moss covered rocks under the rushing water and ventured further down the creek. Jules followed but didn't fair so well with those slippery rocks. She slipped and fell on her ass. I did a great job a not laughing but she laughed her ass off at herself. We found nothing in the curve of the creek so we made our way back to our original spot.


There she spotted two of the biggest crawfish I had ever seen in the creek. We both splashed over to the area and she almost netted one. But they backed themselves into the holes in the rocks and never came back out again.


Something nibbled on my toe and I jumped splashing that ice cold water up the legs of my shorts. After another short scream from me, Jules spotted something.


Jules: Don't move!


I'm thinking...snake!? Because, if that's the case, my ass in running not staying still so it can slither up my leg and bite my ass.


me: What? What is it?

Jules: Algae eater.

me: Huh?

Jules: A fish. Right...here.


She slaps the net in the water and brings up a bunch of sand. I search for what she is talking about and don't see a damn thing.


Jules: See it?

me: Nope.

Jules: Its like camouflaged. There!


This time she points and I see what looks like a translucent minnow size fish.

She ended up catching two of them and putting them in her tank for her redneck aquarium. J and Rock came back with DQ Blizzards, so we headed back up to the house.

A few minutes ago, Jules went back down to the creek to let all the creatures she caught go. (I didn't catch a damn thing, but give me a fishing pole and watch out!) She said she felt bad.


I think my feet are still frozen but it was kind of fun. I now know what a redneck aquarium and a crawfish is. I learn something new everyday. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment