Saturday, August 29, 2009

Not anymore

I grew up in South Florida. I'm pretty sure I have lived in every city there is in Broward County. I went to seven different elementary schools because my father moved us around a lot. Later in life, I started two businesses in that county and they expanded to cover the tri-counties - Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach. (One of the businesses actually went state wide.) I have lived through the changes that have made the areas what they are today.

I heard a song today. Not sure who sings it or what the actual title of the song was but I'm sure its something close to "If the South Would've Won." There was a line in the song that went something like this: We'd put Florida on the right track because we'd take Miami back.

When I heard that line I had to laugh...but then it kind of made me sad.

When I was a kid, Miami wasn't no where near as bad as it is today. There were a few bad spots that the white people were warned to stay away from - Overtown and Liberty City are the ones I can remember. But over all, it wasn't such a bad place. It had beautiful beaches and Krispy Kreme doughnuts and even a White Castle somewhere. Places I remember my parents taking me from time to time. Now, my mom wouldn't go down there if you paid her and my dad only goes there if he has work that way.

It has changed. Not in a good way either. Sure...they still have South Beach, Star Island, a few other nice places (my mind is blank on the names). But the rest of it... I'm sure you've seen that TV show, The First 48.

Last night, me and J were at her grandmother's house. I was watching LA Ink (Kat Von D...need I say more) and then a show called Police Women of Broward County came on. J explained to her grandmother that all these places they were showing were where we used to do business and one of the places they showed was were we used to park all of our trucks (near Hammondville Road and Powerline Road). Then J told her that we used to live not too far from there. Her grandmother watched the show and at the end she said, "I'm glad you girls don't live down there anymore."

Sadly, I'm glad we don't live there either. My home town. The place I know by heart. I hate it.

And the show didn't really show the real bad stuff. Things like a tourist being shot to death as he tried to make a call at a phone booth in broad daylight with his wife sitting in the car in front of him. Or the drive-by shooting that happened two houses down from me in broad daylight while my little brother was playing in the front yard. Or how that same gang came back that same night and shot up the place again because they realized they got the wrong house that day. Or how some guy was stabbed in the middle of the night and he hid behind my aunt's Tahoe -bleeding to death- then staggered two houses down and died in the back yard.

All these things happened in places that, at one time, were beautiful neighborhoods where neighbors would have hurricane block parties and huge barbecue's where everyone was invited. Where we all knew each other and kids could play freely outside and you didn't have to worry about them. Where you could have nice things in your yard and no one would steal them. You could leave your bike in the carport and your cars unlocked. You could even sleep with your windows open.

Not anymore. I am a fourth generation Floridian and will most likely never live there again. Its slowly becoming a dirty dump, full of crime and disgusting people. Definitely not a place I would raise my children.

1 comment: