Friday, August 28, 2009

Wrecking and writing

Last night, chilling and watching TV with my girl, when this new show comes on. Crash Course.

I'm thinking...too easy! Hell, I used to drive 20 or more hours a day in Miami/Broward/Palm Beach counties traffic. In a tractor trailer no less. (Trust me. IT IS HELL. Especially when its snowbird season.) I could do Crash Course blindfolded and enjoy every second of it.

Besides...I would finally get the opportunity to take out all of those years of pent up road rage and no one would get hurt. Well, I might and maybe my passenger but we'd have the time of our lives! Can't beat it.
And J said she wants to be my partner on the show. Yeah, I'm in shock too. Next auditions...we will be there.

Change subject...

A while ago, I wrote about my laptop dying on me. I was lucky and able to save all the things I had been writing. The computer I'm on now is J's computer. We use it for the internet and she uses it for trading. I hate...HATE...to use it for my writing. One reason being that...it is J's work computer and she needs it during the day. I used to write while she was working. Obviously, I can't now. The other reason is...with my laptop, I could sit outside in the sun, in the quiet, without interruptions from the dogs or the phone or J or Mick. Just me and my stories...easy flowing...in my zone. Aikona! Not happening on this comp.

So this past weekend, I was sitting at my desk and looked over a J's desk. Behind her comp was sitting my old comp. When I say old, I mean old. I bought it with her when we first got together...uh, almost nine years ago. (OMG! It is going to be nine years soon!) I figured I could hook it up on my desk and I would at least have my own comp to write on.

I lugged the ancient two ton monitor from behind her flat screen over to my desk. I crawl under her desk to find the rest of it. About an hour later, I got it all set up. I had to alter my desk to fit the huge monitor. I routed all the wires so they wouldn't get tangled in my chair. I sat down in my chair thinking...finally.

All happy with myself for thinking of the old comp, I start it up. A few snaps, crackles, beeps, and some unidentifiable sounds. No worries, right. The Microsoft screen comes up then an old Otep drawing that I had made my wallpaper popped up. Cool. I plug in my Micro Vault. I open the folders. BAM! "Cannot open" pops up because it cannot find the program that made the file. FUCK!

I kicked myself repeatedly for not remembering that technology is ancient the year after it hits the market and the computer -being so old- wouldn't have Microsoft Works Word Processor on it. I'm stupid...I know, Where's my sign?

We have been shopping to replace my laptop a few times. But the only places we have to shop for computers around here is Walmart and uh...Walmart. I am truly in the sticks, folks and yes there are two Walmart's. We have checked out a few online too. And now, J's got me thinking about switching to a Mac. Choices...hmph.

I'm not sure which way I will go but I do know that if I don't get a comp soon, I'm going to drive J to drinking. Wait...that doesn't sound half bad because when she's drunk she...TMI.

No comments:

Post a Comment