Saturday, August 15, 2009

Retro Florida




More of Florida...



It was great to get to see a few of my old high school friends. I didn't get to catch up with all of them (and its not like I didn't try *clears throat* MP, DC) but I did get to see the ones that matter most. KC of course but also Stephro.





Picture an average height, close to thin surfer/stoner chick with the wildest blond hair ever imagined on a girl. Hence the name Stephro. I believe I wrote about our trip out on her dads boat but I wanted to add the pictures.




Her father tried to change my mind about getting in the water but all I could imagine was me falling off the raft and sinking with that damn cast on my leg. Besides, the water was a bit rough. Even now, though, when I look at the pictures, I wish I would have just cut the damn thing off so I could dive in at least once.

It seems so strange. We've all changed so much but we are still the same. Stephro is married with three adorable kids now but still the same scatter-brain, happy-go-lucky surfer chick. Her hair is much shorter and she is much thinner (She refused to tell us her thinning secret. Three kids and as thin as a rail.) but she is still constantly smiling and laughing and making us laugh at her air-headedness.
KC and I had to take away her cool card though. As we were riding to the intercoastal, I had a chance to check out her cd's. We let her slide on the children's cd's but Spice Girls? We ended up giving it back though. Towards the bottom of the stack were her usual favorite: Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead.

As far as KC and I go, we both gained some weight since school but its nothing that a little extra exercise and a better diet won't fix. But like Steph, KC is also married with a kid. A seventeen year old son. I knew about him when we were still in touch but we both had controlling piece of shit boyfriends and (I blame the guys) we lost touch. Me, well I was married before both of them and divorced before Stephro got married and thankfully, I didn't have any kids from that jerk.

But we are all grownups and responsible. Unlike our take-no-shit, fuck-authority, rebellious youthful selves we once were. Okay, I'm still youthful and think I'm invincible but still...

It was good times and I wish I could have hung out a little more with Steph. I wish we all could have met up with MP. But MP was either really too busy or maybe she has a problem with me being gay. We weren't sure but we did have a great time without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment