Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Four Seasons?

I can feel it. The season changing. I guess summertime is really just about gone.

Honestly, if you would have asked me while I was living in Florida which season was my favorite, I would have said the winter time. Not like we really had winter. But anything below 80 degree's was cold to us and it always felt so good to get that little relief from the super hot Florida sun.

Believe it or not, it snowed in South Florida once. I was four, I think. It might have only lasted for about five minutes and was gone as soon as it hit the ground, but it did snow. I remember my Grandma Beth woke me up and took me outside so I could see. It was funny because I asked her if the Everglades were on fire. The snow looked like the ashes that we would see floating around when there was a big blaze out there. I don't think she ever really explained what exactly the snow was so when I called my other grandma to tell her about what I saw I said, "You should have seen it, Grandma. The clouds got so cold that when the wind blew, it broke of little frozen pieces of clouds and they started falling on the cars. But they weren't heavy pieces."

I moved up here to the mountains last winter. Winter is no longer my favorite season. I don't think my bones thawed out until a few months ago and now, it is starting to get cold again. To me its cold. To J, its just real nice.

I have a cousin that lives in Alaska. Up until about ten years ago, half of my family lived in Alaska. My cousin Mel is the the only one still living up there. I don't know how she does it. One winter, my uncle called down on Christmas and told us that they had been in the house for two weeks because it was too cold to go outside. He said that if you were out there for more than five minutes, your lungs would freeze. Crazy shit. I couldn't imagine. (J and I will be in Alaska next year for Mel's wedding. Mel warned me that I will think that its so beautiful up there that I will never want to leave.)

But, it is inevitable. The weather is going to change. And before I know it, winter will be here.

Maybe...I'll take Mel up on the offer to move up there and work with her. She spends the winters in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment