Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In the music

Last night, J and I worked on two new songs. Very sweet! We also worked on two others that are pretty much done. J added a very cool lead to one of our older songs (a song I just learned to play last night...I'm the singer dammit!) and we practiced some of the songs we hadn't played in a while. My fingertips are numb as I type but my fingers feel loose (which is good).

I'm not so good at writing leads. J and Freak...an entirely different story. I can come up with a melody, anything just out of my head and those two will come in and blow me away. One of the first songs we ever wrote together as a band, "Carvin'", started with five chords. An idea I had from something Freak had shown us after practice one day. The name...I got it from one of her amps. The lyrics...I wrote them about one of my...I'd rather not say (I plead the fifth and once you hear the song, you will know why). But once I had it all down, they came in and made it...epic really.

After all the practicing and writing we could endure, we broke out into the "fucking around" stuff. (Not like that you perv.) We played a few things we had each been thinking about and then started playing some stuff just for fun. One of my favorites..."Anna is a Speed Freak" by a band called Pure. It is a blast to play and sing. Give it a listen.

I couldn't let the night of music end without having J play "Mayonaise." The intro to the song is beautiful and I love the way she plays the part in the audio below between 1:00 and 1:20. It turns me into a love sick kid. (I will explain this soon.) Enjoy...

2 comments: