Friday, October 16, 2009

Loose pants and good tunes

I can't decide if I'm cold or hot today. Maybe a little of both. And tomorrow the high will be 48. I am so not ready for winter.

The good side of this...I got my jeans down from the closet that barely fit me last winter. I slid them on with ease today and grinned because they are actually a little big. Fucking sweet. All this damn exercise is paying off big time.

Last night was stressful and then it was amazing. The stressful part...the dogs got in a fight. The amazing part...well, I will just say that J is real good with her hands. Inspirational to say to the least and I wrote it out:

We were there
In the Altered State
She was in me
I was in her head
Sensitive fingertips
Over soft lips
Give and take
Take and give
Sweat on skin
With whispered I love you's
On that plain
Where only we exist
In the Altered State

Of course there is more, so much more but...

I'm in the process of going through all of the songs I've written (I have about twenty full notebooks) and figuring out which ones I want to write music to. Our creative process works like this: I search my lyrics for the ones I feel the most. I come up with a melody and write some music to go along with it. I bring it to J and she takes it all and elevates its intensity by a million or more by writing the music that I never could.

I'm great at rhythm, the basic backbone for a song. But when it comes to writing the music that will blow you away, J has it covered ten-fold.

Or, J will come to me with something she has written. I listen to her play it as I scan the lyric pages to find what we feel the song should be about. Or sometimes I just write the lyrics as she plays. It works all ways. Its funny, after an intense creative session, how we will stand back and say, "Whoa, we wrote that."

I still have no idea why I ever stopped music. I guess shit happened and things were all crazy. But still, music was always what kept me grounded or helped me escape. The more we play and create, the more I realize how much I really missed it. I won't let it happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment