Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Getting back to good

The rest of the "back then" story makes me feel like such a hypocrite. Things started happening so fast that I didn't know which way was the right way and I kind of got lost (for many years). But like it or not, this is Life of Times and the purpose was to tell the story on how I got to where I am now. Back to the story...

I was stuck on the "he says you are his" words for hours. It was driving me up the wall. I didn't like being thought of as a possession, it made me feel...wrong. I steered clear of RM and Rich the entire night. I had even planned on staying drug-free that night but someone slipped me something in my drink. I remember bits and pieces of conversations but the thing that sticks out most from that night was that LG never left RM and Rich's side. It was like she was involved in some kind of conspiracy with them to make me his "property." I wasn't liking that one bit.

Frank, my neighbor from across the street, sat beside me in the driveway. I knew he could tell that something was bothering me. "What's got you lumpy? Bad trip?"

I liked Frank as a friend. He was a tough guy out of New York but he didn't act that way. He was more laid back and kind of charming that way. He had asked me out once but I quickly declined. He was older. Ten years older and that just seemed weird. Funny, after I kindly declined, he asked my mom out. She was ten years older than him. I think they actually went out a few times, too. Hell, most of my guy friends wanted a date with my mom and Frank was the only guy to ever succeed. My mom wasn't a slut and she did have an age standard.

"Nah. The trip is fine but," I looked around to see who was standing near us, "if I find out who gave it to me, I'm gonna beat their ass."

He laughed and slapped my shoulder. "Yeah right! You're telling me you didn't want to get high tonight?"

I shook my head and looked around us again. "To tell the truth, Frank, I really don't want to do this shit anymore. Any of it. No more coke, weed, sid, or WC's. I want my head to be clear."

I knew he was searching my face and eyes to see if what I had said was the truth. And while he contemplated my words, I contemplated myself. I stretched my legs out in front on me and inspected my Airwalks. I pulled at the frayed strings that sprouted from the holes at the knees of my blue jeans. And then my shirt. The T-shirt that MM had given me. Blue and white tie-dyed Iron Maiden shirt with a brightly sketched picture of Eddie on the front. His form came to life on my chest as I breathed in slowly. I had to look away.

So, I closed my eyes and pulled my knees to my chest. I grabbed the neck of the shirt and brought it to my face. If I breathed deep enough, I could still smell MM. I knew she would respect my decision to quit drugs. She would stand behind me and even quit with me. But when I opened my eyes and looked out over my new friends, I knew that none of them were like her. None of them even came close. I was pretty sure that none of them respected me either. But the feeling was mutual.

Frank cleared his throat to get my attention. "Where were you?"
He must have been talking to me and I didn't hear a thing. I could have just blamed it on the drug. "I was...with an old friend," I smiled. Thinking of her always made me smile...and still does.
"Well, what I was saying is that, if that's the way you feel, you should just quit. I'll help you keep these guys away from here." He slapped his hands together and rubbed them vigorously. "I'll get them the fuck out of here right now if you want."

I really wanted him to get rid of them but everyone was pretty wasted. It was nights like these that they would all pass out in my front yard. Seriously. My mom would have to wake us up to get us off her car sometimes. "Nah, not tonight. But thanks, Frank." I glanced over at him wondering if he really understood how serious I was.

"You say the word and I'm there," he grinned. "You know, KK is coming back from California next week. He wants to start that band. Are you in?"

I rested my chin on my knees. "I don't know. If I really want out of all this shit, I'm gonna have to stay away from the temptation." I glanced over at LG, RM, and Rich who were huddled together by RM's car. "And you know KK. He's carries more goodies around with him than RM over there could even get his hands on."

Frank laughed a deep, loud laugh that attracted a lot of attention. "You are so right." He got to his feet. "Well, I'm here if you ever need any help." He winked as he walked over to the crowd that was singing a horrible version of Slayer's "South Of Heaven" and he joined in.

In a matter of seconds, LG, RM, and Rich were circling me like vultures and I was their next meal.

2 comments:

  1. I figured out who Rich is and he IS a vulture. Do you ever wonder how different your life would have been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. No regrets. Everything happens for a reason. You know this better than I do.

    ReplyDelete