Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sweet Journey


So, I went on a quest today. Since the weather was beautiful, I figured that if I wanted out of my slump, I should search for the life of spring or something. So with CJ and Bugsby (the outside dogs) as my guides, we headed into the woods for our journey.




They took me down to the creek. Armed with my camera, I chased an elusive creature from the bank down into the water. It was good at hiding and I never did get a picture of it but I had fun chasing it. Then, Bugsby showed me the best place to cross the rolling water. The water was a bit cold but neither dog seemed to mind, so I didn't either. CJ led me along the waters edge to where a huge tree had fallen across the creek. I was tempted to walk across it but, wearing shorts, I didn't want to attempt maneuvering through the thick briar's.




I walked back and across the creek, meeting the dogs at the fallen tree. There I found some bright purple flowers that were just blooming. I know nothing about plants and such, so I made sure not to touch anything I saw. The stories of poison sumac around here are scary enough...no need to experience any of it.




I followed my guides down into a valley of sorts. There, Bugsby showed me another fallen tree that looked like a great place to relax and read during the upcoming summer. He really seemed to like the spot him self. He walked out to the middle of it and watched me as I took pictures of the fern looking plants I had found.




They led me a bit further in the woods as the creek made a snake-like twist around some of the trees. I got tangled in the briar's that I was being so careful to avoid. (It actually tore my Joan Jett T-shirt...arrggh.) But I got back down to the waters edge and found a very deep part that looked like a good place to swim. Not now, of course, but as soon as the water heats up a bit.




Then...my guides abandoned me. I was left in the middle of the woods and lost. But I made the most of it. I found some interesting looking plants and flowers and followed the creek out of the woods. It was so peaceful and the fresh air seemed to have cleansed me from the inside out.

All in all, I think my journey was just what I needed. I feel renewed and lighter somehow and I'm honestly feeling much better than I have been for the past two days.


No comments:

Post a Comment