Tuesday, April 28, 2009

No gray hair?

J just left to go visit her grandmother. No big deal, really, she lives on the next street. J and Rock go over there almost every day. Sometimes I go with them but not very often. I get bored too easily and I start to get fidgety.

Okay, I shall explain. When they go over there, all they do is sit and read the paper or watch TV. I can do the paper thing, but not much on the TV ever captivates me. Granny, as they call her, just talks and talks and talks and no one really listens to her. So...me, feeling like someone needs to pay attention, listens to her stories. The catch is, I don't really understand her. She has that real thick country drawl that J used to have. I used to think that J got tired of me asking her to repeat herself but she recently told me that it never bothered her. She now makes jokes about how she didn't know that I didn't understand her or her mother when they would talk to me. Anyway...

They were leaving to go and J and I stepped outside before they left. It is a beautiful sunny day up here in the North Georgia Mountains and the sun was reflecting the natural highlights in her hair. And then I saw it...

J turned thirty at the end of last year. To me, age is just a number. It doesn't define you...I'm living proof and older than her. It took me a while to convince her of this, but she finally forgot about her number in January or so. But I had to open my mouth...

The sun caught her hair as she turned to look at the door, wondering where her brother was. I saw it and I couldn't let it go. (I really thought it was funny.)

me: Babe...you got a...gray hair!
J: (Looking at me like I just told her that there was a spider crawling across her face.) No I don't! Don't say that.
me: (Poking at her head, trying to isolate the gray hair.) Yes you do. Its right here. (I held it between my fingers and tried to pull it so she could see.)
J: Its not a gray hair.

Between you and me...it was SO a gray hair. There were actually several more I saw but I figured I save those for a later teasing.

me: Do you want me to pull it out? (I was thinking she could be my tester on "if you pull one out, ten more show up")
J: No! Where is it?
me: (I direct her fingers to the strand.) Here. See? Its gray. I think you would look sexy with gray hair.
J: Hey now! (She pulls the hair out and looks at it.)
me: I'm just saying...when you do get all gray, I think you would still be sexy as hell.
J: My hair is brown. I'm not getting gray hair.

I squinted my eyes as I pictured her with a full head of gray hair. Definitely sexy.

J: Stop! I know what you are doing. I have brown hair, dammit! And it will stay that way.
me: (Laughing because she is so damn cute when she's flustered.) Then what is that you have in your hand?
J: (She looks at the GRAY hair and smiles.) This isn't a gray hair, its an albino hair. (She looks back at me with that evil grin.) And my hair is brown, just like your hair is blond.

Albino hair? I couldn't argue, I was laughing so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment