Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Human Property

Back to the story...

As the summer went on, more and more people would show up at my house on a nightly basis. It became the local hangout...for everybody. Mom didn't mind as long as we didn't get too loud that the cops were called.

There was a new guy in the neighborhood. His name was Jason and he had stopped to talk to me a few times when he was riding around on his bike. I liked him and I liked his music. He was always wearing headphones, jamming to some new death metal band as he rode by.

"Hey, you wanna listen?" he asked as he rode up.

I was sitting on the trunk of my mom's car, smoking a cigarette and waiting for LG to finish her chores so she could come and hang out. "Sure," I smiled. Hey, he was cute. "Who is it today?"

"Today is some old stuff from Testament. You've heard of them, right?"

Of course I had heard of them. "Yeah," I nodded.

He dropped his bike and jumped up on the back of the car with me. He pulled one of the ear buds from his ear and passed it to me.
Jason wasn't like the other guys I had met from the neighborhood. He was nice, not cocky, and didn't push for anything other than to hangout with me every now and then. He was good looking, with a nice friendly smile, gorgeous blue eyes and long light brown hair that never looked messy. He respected my personal space and that is more than I could say for the rest of the guys in the neighborhood. Mostly we talked about music.

The sun was dropping fast and he was acting a little strange. He seemed nervous and a little out of his normal calm cool relaxed zone. He got down from the car and turned around.
"I was thinking," he almost whispered, "that maybe...maybe I could take you to the movies or something, sometime?" He stared down at the ground and rocked back and forth on his heels. For some reason, I found his actions completely hot.

"Yeah." I reached for the front of his shirt and pulled him closer. His rocking was pulling the ear bud away from me. "I'd like that," I grinned.

He was the first guy to ask me out without propositioning sex first. He was also my age. I liked him. So when he leaned in to kiss me, I let him. He was so nervous that it took all I had not to laugh. He stepped closer and moved a shaky hand over my leg as his other wrapped around my waist. It was the nicest, sweetest kiss I'd ever had from a guy.
I slid down from the car and he held onto me. He leaned back and smiled as he tucked my hair behind my ear. "I was sure you were going to say no."

I weighed his words. He pegged me right. Normally, I would have said no. And I probably would have decked him if he had tried to kiss me under any other circumstances. But, there was something about him that was different from the rest. He wasn't part of the drug scene I was in. He wasn't egotistical. He never made me feel uncomfortable around him. He was...better than the rest somehow and I wanted to be a part of that. Above the drugs and the loser life I had dropped myself in to. Maybe I thought that with him, I could get back to the nice clean fun and maybe back to good.

"I might have said no if you were anyone else," I admitted. "But you're all right," I smiled. I leaned back against the car and pulled him with me. He was a damn good kisser and I wanted more.

"Oh my God! I am not seeing this," LG yelled from her front yard.
I flicked her off and continued to kiss him.
"Who the hell are you?" she asked as she walked up beside us. "You're not one of us." Her voice was mean and loud.
"Fuck you, LG," I said. I put my hand against his chest and held him away from me a few inches. It was getting hot. "His name is Jason and who says I can't kiss someone that isn't one of us?"
LG shook her head and turned to face me. She put her hand on his shoulder and pushed him even farther away from me. "What about Rich?"

Whoa! She did not just say that. "Rich is a disgusting pig. There is nothing and never will be anything between us!"

Jason took a step back. "Maybe I better go."
I grabbed his shirt again and gave him another kiss. "I'll see you tomorrow?"
"Yeah," he said, looking from me to LG and then back at me. "Same time?"
I nodded and let him kiss me once more before he picked up his bike and rode off.

"What the fuck, LG?" I stepped up to her and gave her a shove. "Fuck Rich and those scum bag guys over there."

She looked surprised as she regained her footing and straightened up. She stepped in my face and raised her hands to shove me back. I brought my hands up on the inside and knocked her hands away. "The guys are gonna kick his ass if they see him hanging around you."
"Why the hell would they do that?" I stepped back and looked her over. "Sorry I pushed you."
She pulled out a pack of smokes and lit two. "I'll forgive you this time." She passed me one and jumped on the trunk of the car. "Look, Rich says you are his. If he sees," she pointed at Jason's back as he rode away, "him anywhere near you, he is going to beat the shit out of him."

The first thing that went through my head was why Rich would think something like that. I wasn't property and I sure as hell wasn't his girl. I barely ever spoke to him, even though he was hanging out at my house almost every night since he dropped me and LG off. But everyone was. And I never invited him. The second thing that crossed my mind was that Jason was no match for Rich.

"You're kidding me, LG. I'm not property. Especially not his. Who the fuck does he think he is?" I took a drag and let the smoke out slow. A few cars turned the corner and I recognized them as the gang starting to arrive. "I think its time I stop hanging out with these guys."

LG shook her head as she watched RM and Rich climb out of the car. "Impossible," she whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment