Monday, April 27, 2009

Time for Change

Time to get back in the swing of things. So that means its time to get back to back then...

Yeah. The vultures were circling. And I was so fucked up. I was pretty sure at this point that it wasn't just acid I was on. And, for the life of me, I couldn't remember who handed me the drink. All bets were on LG.

"How you feeling?" LG asked as she sat down beside me.
I laughed a hollow, emotionless laugh. "My guess is that you know exactly how I'm feeling." I glanced over at her as RM sat down behind her and wrapped his arms around her. "I'm fucked up."

She grinned and stared at me like she was about to take out a knife and slice me to bits. Sadly, I don't think I would've been able to put up a fight.

Rich took a seat on the other side of me and tried to touch my hand. I quickly pulled it away, or at least it felt like I quickly pulled it away. The way my head was spinning, it probably took me ten minutes to even think about moving it. I shot him a look of pure hate. And that's the last thing I remember.

I woke up the next morning with the sun beaming in my eyes. The light felt like little needles being jabbed into them. I was in the front passenger seat of my mom's car with my feet hanging out the window and there was an arm around my shoulder. I covered my eyes with my hand and pushed at the weight that was across my stomach.

Somehow, I fell asleep next to Rich. LG's legs were across my lap and her head was on RM's lap. I had a very bad feeling in my gut and quickly exited the car to puke that feeling out. I thought that was my final straw with drugs and drinking. I just couldn't do it anymore.

I left the sleeping dogs in the car and went inside to take a shower. When I looked in the mirror, I had to do a triple take. Staring back at me was a trail of bite marks that went from below my left ear, down my neck, and to the top of my left breast. I looked a little closer and saw that my lip was bruised and bit too. Definitely the last straw.

I promised myself that it was the last time I would ever get so stupidly high. That I would never allow myself to not know what was going on around me.

I inspected the rest of my body and was relived to realize that the bites were the extent of my damage. That kissing was as far as it went. I think I might have killed someone if they had forced me to have sex. And yes, I would have known if I had had sex.

By the time I had finished my shower, my mom had left for work. And the dogs I had left in her car had gone too. I fixed a bowl of cereal and picked up the phone. I needed to talk to someone, badly.

"Uncle Shane?" I asked after I heard hello.
"Hey B! We were just talking about you last night. How is it going over there in the north east side of the county?"

It felt so good to hear his voice. Even though he was only a year older than me, he always seemed so much wiser than I ever felt.

"Its going. Any word on MM?" I had to ask.
"Nah, nothing. Rumor has it...she is living with a family member somewhere close. She hasn't been seen since the court hearings." I laughed when I heard him slurp his milk.
"Let me guess...Apple Jacks, huh." I took a bite of my own.
"Yep. You too?" he asked.
"You know it. So, you guys were talking about me. Anything good?"

He explained that they had rebuilt the quarter pipe and made it much wider and how Brad had thought I would be the best at shredding it. He gave me a list of people that all wanted him to say hi to me and that they missed me. I told him to say the same thing back to them all.

"I know you didn't call for the 'hello list.' You sound down." Shane was always good at reading me.

I explained what I could remember of the night before and then reluctantly told him about the marks left on my body. I could tell he was angry but I could also tell that he was trying to hide it.

"Who the fu...who did it?" he stuttered.
"This is the worst part, Shane. I really don't know. I can't remember a thing. But I do know that I woke up with Rich beside me. Guessing, I would say it was him." I felt awful. I felt worthless. I was more than ashamed.

I should have known better than to stay outside when I was starting to feel so messed up. I should have forced myself inside my house and locked all the doors. I knew that I couldn't trust any of them. And I explained it that exact way to Shane.

"Don't blame yourself. Well, do but don't. You never had that kind of problem when you lived out here. We all looked out for you. Especially MM." I heard him slam something down, hard, against the table. "God! I wish I could get out there somehow. What are you gonna do?"

When he asked, I went through a million scenarios in my mind. None of them seemed doable, but I had to try.

"I think its about time I quit the drugs and drinking and find myself a new group of friends. Maybe, with a little luck, it won't be as hard as it sounds."

I knew the new friends thing would be easy, but finding friends that were clean was going to be a pain in the ass. For the first time in my life, I couldn't wait for school to start. Maybe I'd turn into a jock or something. Join softball or soccer. I figured those kids were the closest I would ever get to finding the "good" kids.

"That's a big change, B. Going from being high on a nightly basis to being super clean. Its gonna be rough." He took a deep breath and let it out slow. "If anyone can do it, though, it would be you."

That was the vote of confidence I needed. He thought I could do it. I felt that I could do it. And the thought that MM would probably stand behind me was about all I needed. For a split second, I thought that maybe I should ask my mom for help. But I quickly thought better of it. As far as I knew, she had no idea of what I was really into and I didn't see any reason to bring her in now.

It was a time for change and I was gonna change it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment