Saturday, June 27, 2009

Farmer Jo!

This farmer shit is educational.
We woke up with the sun and headed out to the garden. I learned that very young briars feel like fiberglass when you accidentally pull on them since they are tangled in the beans. I learned the difference between a garden snake and a king snake and a copper head. I learned that Granny's dog, Skip, looks like a garden monster when he walks up behind you and you only catch a glimpse of him. I learned that corn stalks are kind of fragile and are freaky when the long leaves rub across your ear. I learned that mosquitoes are gonna bite you no matter how much repellent you use. And I learned that picking a five gallon bucket of green beans isn't as easy as it sounds.

Next on the learning list is stringing and snapping (or maybe its breaking?) and then we get to can.

It sucks that I won't be up here when the corn is ready to pick.

Don't tell my mom but fried squash is pretty damn good. And fried cabbage too. The only vegetable she ever got me to eat was green beans.

We have some really nice tomatoes coming in. Onions are doing great. The jalapenos grew nicely. We even have green peppers that will be ready shortly. Soon we will have more cabbage, squash and a ton of potatoes. Deer ate the brussel sprouts and some of the cucumbers.

Speaking of deer...we were chatting with J's Uncle Rob about the young deer we saw at the end of the driveway and he joked that we should have shot it so we would have so meat to go with our green beans. I had to say it...really I did. "Hey, hey. You are talking to a city girl here. All deer are like Bambi and will not be shot."
Besides that, I am an animal lover. Why else would I have two dogs and a cat (since I'm so damn allergic to them)?

3 comments:

  1. That sounds soooo wonderful, except for the snake part! I'm suddenly craving squash and potatoes...great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! The CLC girls have voted and your new nick-name is...*drumroll please* Redneck Surfer! It was either that or John Deer Racer. Oh, and we've decided that we are going to kidnap you and take you to the inlet and make you watch as we rip it up. *You can live vicariously through us!* Um, we really do love you ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solo Homo - Thanks. And the squash...I'm so going to miss it while I'm down south. And the snakes...not fun. But no harm!

    Starr - My dear friends, the CLC ladies, if you dare change my name I will so quit you all! (Okay, maybe not but still....Redneck Surfer???) I'd rather you called me gimpy something or other...lol.
    PS...give Trin a chance. I cannot wait to meet her!
    PSS...I'm so already there at the inlet. I can't wait to smell the ocean!

    ReplyDelete