Sunday, June 28, 2009

Short ride...tall roads

So...today we were up with the sun again. More and more green beans to pick, break, and can. I don't think my fingers will ever be the same. We didn't have any run-ins with snakes but we did come across some very strange looking red spiders (made me think of Spider Man) and some fuzzy yellow bugs.
And I'm sure about this now...mosquitoes are from HELL!!

This is a pic of the fun with the beans.

And no, that isn't all of them. I think we've picked and canned over 21 quarts, not to mention what we've ate the past two days. I think my skin is turning green. And if we get a good rain soon (*doing the rain dance*) we will have a ton more. We really do need rain here.

After we finished the beans, me, Mick, and J went on a ride to Tallulah Gorge. Its not too far from the house and we were scouting out places for the fourth of July celebration that Mick wants to have. The place we checked out didn't have what he was looking for. Swimming and a grill. I don't remember the name of the place but this was the only decent shot I got.


We stopped at the scenic overlook after we left the park. Interesting facts...well, not really...but Tallulah (Falls) Gorge is where Deliverance was filmed and Demi Moore named one of her daughters after it (the falls not the movie).
J and I have stopped at this place before but this was the first time I had actually brought my digital camera. I usually carry around my Canon Rebel but today I had my Sony Cybershot.





It really looked like a long and painful fall from where we were standing. J actually surprised me by saying, "I wish we had some parachutes so we could base jump like that guy on Nitro Circus." For a moment I thought she was reading my mind but she actually seemed interested in doing something like that. I guess I'm FINALLY influencing the adrenaline junkie in her! It only took a little over eight years.



Its a beautiful place. Somewhere down below there is supposed to be a suspension bridge that crosses the gorge. J talked about a company that does hang gliding tours through it. Both sound pretty cool to me. Even though, I'd rather do the base jump...lol.





The zoom on this camera kicks ass.


Other than these few shots, there wasn't much else to see. The trees are thick and hide much of the view. Maybe I'll go back in the winter and take some more pics.


Oh...one more pic. This was actually taken on the way there. This Florida girl is used to the flat land. So when I looked out the front window...my first thought was, "Where the fuck is the road!"




The first time I ever saw a mountain was when I was 19. It was also the first time I had ever seen snow and the first time I was ever out of the state of Florida. Its overwhelming at first sight, or at least it was for me. Hell, J freaked the first time I ever drove her out across Alligator Alley in South Florida. She said the scenery - swamp, rivers of sawgrass, and pretty much nothing else - made her feel dizzy. That's about the same way I felt the first time I drove up a mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment