Monday, June 1, 2009

Revenge and music

I find it strange, how my brain works. It chooses what it wants to remember. Sometimes, my memories scare the shit out of me. And then I wish that I could remember the entire moment so I can understand what it was that really happened. But I think my brain is just trying to protect me or something. I guess it could be a good thing.

Anyhow...Back Then...

I made it through somehow. Withdrawal beat the shit out of me but, dammit, I was still standing.

I replaced the deadly addiction with a new one...guitar. And when that wasn't enough, I'd draw. I actually drew up a comic book that somehow duplicated and circulated for a few years...around to all my friends. I was doing great and had never felt better.

KK came back into town. He was older than me, like most of my friends, but I had known him the longest. He had been my grandmother's neighbor forever. He was fresh back from California. And he was the neighborhood "dealer" if you know what I mean.

He was the only one I told about what DK had done to me. And he stood behind me as I beat the living daylights out of that fucker. I told you I would get revenge and I never said I wasn't violent (well, I'm not now but I was back then). I never saw DK again after that day. He either moved away or KK did something that he didn't tell me.

So, KK had known that I played the guitar and he told me that when he got back from his trip, we were going to start a band. But...I wasn't so sure it was a good idea.

"Why not?" he asked. We were sitting on the planter in front of my house smoking cigarettes.
I studied my cigarette like it would help me explain. "I'm just...look, I've known you forever. But, I need to stay away from the stuff you, umm, do and sell."

The quiet was deafening as he considered my words.

He patted my shoulder. "I respect the fact that you wanna be clean. I'm cool with that." He raked his hand through his hair. "I would never try to push any of this shit on you. I've known you pretty much since you were born. I'll watch your back. But, please, please be in this band with me."

I believed him. He was like a big brother to me. But I was still weary about it and I know he read it all over my face.

He took a deep breath as he searched for his convincing words. "I promise you, when we practice, everyone will be straight. We will put the music before the high. And if the rest of the guys don't like it, then they're out."

To be in a band with KK was something I had wanted for a long time. I wasn't the greatest guitar player at the time, but he was. And his knowledge of music was something I knew he wanted to pass on to me. I felt like I trusted his words enough to agree.

"Alright. I'll do it. But I mean it, KK, no drugs." I held his eyes as he stood.
"Fuckin' wicked!" He pulled me up and gave me a hug. "We won't even have to be good. You're so hot, guys will show up just to see you."
"Fuck you," I laughed and pushed him away.

And so Iron Cross was formed. KK kept his promise. Everyone, including KK, was completely sober at our practices. We practiced everyday for about two weeks. As good as it was going, I had a feeling it wouldn't last. But KK did get to teach me a hell of a lot. And after the bassist and drummer had had enough of playing sober, they quit.

"It's supposed to be sex, DRUGS, and rockn' roll, man," one of the guys complained.
KK, being the bad ass that he was, helped them both out the door with his fists. It wasn't just the drug thing they were fighting about, but I think that statement is what pushed him over the edge.

KK and I continued playing and we actually wrote a few decent songs together. (I think I still have the lyrics somewhere.) And LG...she really wasn't liking all the time we were spending together. No matter how many times I explained that he was like a brother to me, she was still jealous.

Honestly, I didn't think she had the right to be jealous. She was cheating on him constantly. He cheated on her too, but not with me. And I was kind of stuck in the middle but I kept my mouth shut. Their relationship was really none of my business. As much as they liked to pretend, I could tell they didn't love each other. Not in the least bit. It would self destruct on its own...without my help.

I had enough to deal with anyway. I told LG to fuck off. If she couldn't trust me around KK then she didn't need to be my friend. Of course she quickly apologized and tried to pawn off her anger on not having any coke or something. I shrugged it off. Whatever.

I was proud of myself. I had managed to stay away from EVERYTHING for an entire month. I still had weird withdrawal symptoms, but I was doing it. Even with the crowd of users that seemed to cling to me.

Yeah, I thought I had it made, getting past the hardest stuff, but...
TO BE CONTINUED of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment