Tuesday, March 17, 2009

For the CLC...Joan Jett!



It was the early 80's. I was just about to turn 8 years old. There was a new channel called MTV debuting and I must have stared at that little moon man for days waiting for the first video. I remember seeing "Video Killed the Radio Star" but then I zonked out.

The second video I ever saw was Joan Jett and the Blackhearts singing, "I Love Rock N' Roll" and I was hooked. In that instant, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up, or make that who. Joan Jett. The queen of rock. The goddess of the guitar. And she was tough. And hot. All black leather and you knew she didn't take anybodies shit.

I begged my mom to let me dye my hair. My white/blond just wasn't doing the trick. Of course she refused but she did let me get my hair cut like hers. My 8th birthday rolled around and my Uncle Tom bought me two cassette tapes. Joan Jett and John Cougar. (I still have them both.) And my big surprise was concert tickets to see Joan live at the Sunrise Musical theatre.

Mom and Dad took me to the show. I had my dad put me on his shoulders and I told him, "Dad, when she comes out...whistle real loud."

He was laughing so hard that his whistle sounded like...well, a half assed wind storm. But it didn't matter. I was there, right in front of Joan (a few rows back), and I sang every word to every song. I'll never forget how shocked I was that she didn't walk out in her black leather. Instead, she wore pink lace and pink Converse.

Since then, I've seen Joan in concert almost every single time she rolled through South Florida. I even saw her at Atlanta's Music Midtown a few years back. I've got set lists and millions of pictures...but I have yet to actually meet her. I blew my chance when she played at Gulfstream Park. (Long story.) I would love to claim that I'm her biggest fan, but my pal Starr might have me beat on that one.

Anyway...this is Joan Jett. She is the reason I picked up the guitar. She's the reason why millions of other girls picked up the guitar, I'm sure. I drew her with .555 drawing pencil that I stole from Rock. There was so much light and not a lot of shadow, but it I think it was her eyes that pulled me in.

(Starr...Here's the Joan you asked for. I'll give ya the drawing if you come up to visit and go to the show with us!)

3 comments:

  1. Owwwwwww! You'll give it to me, huh. I think it might be time for the CLC to take a trip.
    PS..I am a bigger fan.
    PSS..its my name!
    Tell J we said howzit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Speed! I've never seen pencil look so hot. So when you going to leave J and hook up with me already?
    Oh shit! Does she read this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, Walker. J said you can't have me but she might be willing to share. No, I don't think she reads this.

    ReplyDelete