Saturday, March 28, 2009

Silly ass

Yesterday, Mick, J, and I drove over to Toccoa. I had only been there once before...many years ago. It seemed so much more run down than I remember it.

We were on our way back and Mick pulls into this parking lot. "If I pull in here, will you knock on the door and see if Betty still lives there?"

"Sure," I said and unbuckled my seat belt. I'm ready to climb out of the truck. "Which door?"

"That last one on the bottom." I knew something was up when he started laughing. "Yeah, that Betty was a hooker. You reckon she still lives there?"

With my hand on the door handle, I paused and looked at him. "Are you serious? You want me to knock on a hookers door? Oh well, there's only one way to find out." I started to open the door, which I think surprised him.

He started laughing again and started to drive off. He pulled a u-turn and stopped at a convenience store. As we were leaving he says, "So, will you knock on that door and act like you're on crack and see if they got any drugs?"

I have no idea what people on crack act like but I was sure I could come up with something so I shrugged. If he was going to play around, I was not going to back down. (Mick is a real silly ass)

J laughed. "They'll probably ask you what you want and send you to the right door."

"The people at the first door will answer and say, 'What you want? I know where you can get that,' and they will drag you down that street and we'll never see you again." Mick was laughing at himself.

I don't think he's ever been to Sistrunk Blvd. to pick up a car at 2am or down 13th in Ft. Lauderdale, where the women jump out in front of your truck, half naked, to try to stop you or the gangs stand under the broken streetlight and try to carjack you if you are driving too slow. I'm not real sure that if he knew the dangerous places we had to drive, the dark alleys we had to deliver at, the sick people that we were approached by, and the real reasons we bought guns, that he would have let his daughter stay down there with me and run that company.

Maybe its best if he doesn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment