Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Just a scratch

I could tell there was something bothering her. There was a sadness that consumed her eyes. She began to get distant. At first, I thought that it was because our summer was coming to an end.

I was down at the end of the circle. I always seemed to wake up before everyone else and I took the alone time to shred the quarter pipe we had built at the beginning of the summer. Just me and my Caballero. Wood and wheels. Bearings and trucks. My well ridden skateboard. The tail almost nonexistent. The plastic rails had perfect grooves. No traffic on the streets and the only sounds were of my board vibrating along the pavement.

I was in my zone. I went through the tricks I had mastered. The stalls, the fakies, the hand plants and such. The wood was wet and slippery and as I went up to grind, my wheels lost traction. The board went one way and I went down to my knees, sliding to the bottom of the wood. The wood tore the knees out of my jeans and when I got to the bottom of the ramp, the asphalt took my skin.

I had no idea she was watching. Before I knew it, she had me in her arms.

"God, I hate how you are so fearless. It scares the shit out of me." She helped me up then grabbed my board. She made me sit on the curb so she could inspect my injuries.

"Hey, its nothing. I've had worse," I explained. It was the truth.

Her eyes looked more pained than they had in days. I was torn between wanting to hold her and wanting to push her away from tending to me. I didn't want her to think I was weak.

"Believe me, I know you've had worse. Why are you such a damn tomboy?"

I laughed. "Because being such a damn girl is too much work and not enough fun."

That finally got a smile out of her. The smile I lived for. I had no idea how much she meant to me. And when she looked in my eyes, I saw that pain lift just a little.

"You are crazy." She looked away and lowered her head.

I put my hand on her back. "Really, I'm okay. Its just a few scratches that will heal in a few days. How about you tell me whats really bugging you?"

I knew I hit on something because she brought her knees to her chest and tilted her head towards me. Her head resting on her knees and those knees pulled to her so tightly to her that I wasn't sure if she could breathe. She was always as tough as I was, so when I saw the tears threatening her eyes, a panic washed over me. She must have saw that in my eyes.

"Hey, its just a few scratches. Everything will be okay." I heard her words, but I didn't feel them.

All at once, I was angry. Something or someone had hurt her and all I could think of was beating the hell out of whatever it was. I clinched my fists and felt my face heat up. I begged her to tell me. She knew she could tell me anything but she wouldn't budge on it. "If its Chris, I swear I will kill him."

"Its not Chris. Besides, I think I would kill him first." She looked around us like she was searching for someone watching us. "I'm surprised he wasn't watching you too. He's always right behind you. It drives me nuts."

I flipped my board up on its side and spun the wheel. "It drives me nuts too."
She reached out and spun another wheel. "Have you seen the drawings he's done of you?"
"I saw one. It was me skating. Its kind of creepy, the way he follows me and draws me all the time."
Her laugh sounded evil. "It is but...I think he's in love with you."
Love? Good God! I was thinking that I was way too young for love. "Now, that is crazy."
"He's not the only one." She jumped to her feet and then pulled me up with her. "I've never been on one of these things. Can you teach me?"

I was still stuck on her 'He's not the only one' comment. I wanted to ask but she flipped my board and reached for my hand. She laughed and begged me not to let her fall. It felt so good to feel her laughter that all my thoughts disappeared and it was only us and my board. I ran beside her, still holding her hand, as she skated down the street. Things were better, she seemed so happy, and my world was bright and sunny again.

I just wish I would have known then how long it would last.

No comments:

Post a Comment